Home | World | Qatar admits it had soldiers on ground in Libya's operation

Qatar admits it had soldiers on ground in Libya's operation

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Qatar admits it had soldiers on ground in Libya's operation

Qatar revealed for the first time on Wednesday that hundreds of its soldiers had fought alongside Libyans in their battle to topple longtime despot Moamer Kadhafi.

"We were among them and the numbers of Qataris on ground were hundreds in every region," said Qatari chief of staff Major General Hamad bin Ali al-Atiya.

The announcement marks the first time that Qatar has acknowledged it had military boots on the ground in Libya.

Previously the gas-rich country said it had only lent the support of its air force to NATO-led operations to protect civilians during the eight-month uprising, which ended when Kadhafi was felled with a bullet to the head after being captured last week.

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted)

total: | displaying:

Post your comment

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Quote

Please enter the code you see in the image:

Captcha