London 2012 security not compromised, says Coe
Security for the Olympics has not been compromised by the failure of G4S to recruit enough security staff, London 2012 chairman Lord Coe has said.
It emerged last Wednesday that 3,500 troops were being drafted in to plug gaps in security staff provision.
"We will work very hard, we will remedy this - security will not be compromised," he told BBC Radio 5 live.
Meanwhile, Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman told Sky News the government had failed to properly monitor G4S.
The security firm has said it stands to lose up to £50m after being unable to provide the 10,000 staff it had been contracted to deliver.
Lord Coe said 100 venues and more than 2,000 sessions of sport meant "this comes together in stages and when the rubber really hits the road, that's when plans collide with reality and that's the reality of security".
He added: "I can't put it more simply than this, G4S expected people to materialise and when they didn't, as the home secretary has said, we moved very quickly to fill that gap."
A "prudent and judicious plan" had been put in place, he added.
"This is not about numbers, this is about the mix."
He said people should not run away with the idea that "suddenly we haven't got G4S in place - we have".
"I'm in the Olympic Park every day - we've got 4,000 trained G4S personnel in the park and they've been there for some years and they've been doing a spectacularly good job."
On Saturday, G4S chief executive Nick Buckles told BBC News he only "began to know it was going wrong eight or nine days ago".
He said that, as large numbers were being interviewed, trained, licensed and accredited, "it is only when you get closer to the Games you realise that the number is not as high as you expect".
Mr Buckles indicated in an interview with the Sunday Telegraph that he "could quit" over the fiasco.
Asked whether Mr Buckles should resign, Lord Coe said: "That is absolutely not for me to even speculate on."
Home Secretary Theresa May has said she was made aware of the scale of the problem at G4S only last Wednesday.
Earlier reports that security minister James Brokenshire attended daily senior level Olympics security meetings were incorrect, the Home Office said.
A spokesman said the meetings with department officials, G4S and organisers Locog - which have taken place for the past three weeks - were not focused on the wider G4S recruiting problems, but on issues such as the lockdown and roll-out of venues.
Meanwhile, the government has acknowledged that inspectors raised concerns 10 months ago about security planning for the Olympics.
It said September's confidential report by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary had identified a number of issues, but it insisted these were all resolved by February.
Harriet Harman, meanwhile, told Sky News: "You can't just give people a ton of public money and say, 'oh well, now it's your responsibility'.
"No, security is the government's responsibility and if they contracted out they can't just wash their hands of it, they've got to take responsibility."
She said serviceman and woman drafted in should each be given a £500 bonus.
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show the government had "of course, been monitoring the situation with G4S and their management told us right up until last week that everything was on track".
"But we've had that contingency plan for many months and we are just very lucky to have fantastic armed services who can come when we need them and they will do a brilliant job," he added.
He said G4S had been "honourable" in admitting their mistakes and paying for the extra military personnel.
The security company will lose between £30m and £50m on the contract, which is worth a total of about £280m.
Mr Buckles is due to appear before the Home Affairs Select Committee on Tuesday to answers MPs' questions.
The Commons Public Accounts Committee has also summoned G4S, two government departments and Games organiser Locog to answer questions in September.
BBC SportWhen it's put to him that he might be the most talented athlete in the world to hold a racquet, a bashful Ramy Ashour admits "that's pretty great".The 25-year-old Egyptian is more than just the current squash world number one - his elastic, unorthodox brilliance and charisma could be the key to squash breaking out beyond its four walls and regaining a place on the wider sporting
Ministers in Prime Minister Hisham Qandil's cabinet following the recent reshuffle (new appointees are in italics): 1. Minister of Agriculture Ahmed Mahmoud Ali El-Gizawi2. Minister of Antiquities Ahmed Eissa3. Minister of Aviation Wael Maadawi4. Minister of Communication Atef Helmy5. Minister of Culture
AP— April 15, 2013: Two bombs explode in the packed streets near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three people and injuring more than 140.— January 17, 2011: A backpack bomb is placed along a Martin Luther King Day parade route in Spokane, Washington, meant to kill and injure participants in a civil rights march, but is found and disabled before it can explode. White
The convenient marriage between Iran and the Arab left would have been unthinkable only a few years ago, given the traditional ideological paradoxes between patriarchal Persian Shiism, on the one hand, and leftist orthodoxy on the other.Indeed, a casual viewer of Hizbullah's Al-Manar television, or the Iranian-funded Al-Mayadin TV, these days would probably think that the two Shia propaganda